Thursday, December 11, 2014

Bone Marrow


I developed a love of roasted bone marrow when I had my first taste at Minetta Tavern in 2012. Since then, I would seek it out and order it anytime it was on the menu. It is just so luscious and delectable, spread upon a small toast paired with marmalade and sharp herbs. The best way to describe it is meat butter, but much more globby and scrumptious.

I moved to a desolate town away from the big cities. The closest restaurant worthy of dining was located more than 70 miles. Because of this, if I had a craving for something, I would have to make it on my own. Which is definitely not a bad thing. Saves money and perhaps it can be created better than any restaurant.

So today I went to our local farm market and found some chopped femur bones. I asked the butcher to slice then length-wise for me. He did and brought them back inquiring what I was using them for. "A lot of people use them for dogs because they're good for them." I said I was eating them, it's super tasty almost like a meat spread. And it was only $3.80 for a long femur bone sliced in 3 parts. 

Excited, I hurried home to start my creation.



I set my oven for 450 and bone married (bone side down) went for 20 minutes. Meanwhile, I sautéed some brussel sprouts. To accompany it, I sautéed onions with sesame oil and agave nectar. I also toasted some multigrain bread. I prepped my rosemary salt and thyme to pair with the final spread. 20 minutes later...







No comments:

Post a Comment